|To set up your website, you must do the following:
Domain Registration means that you have paid for and are registered as owning a specific domain name, such as mycooldomain.com.
- Secure webspace by either:
- Registering a domain, then signing up for a domain hosting plan
- Purchasing a domain hosting plan that comes with a free subdomain (ie; yourname.dreamhost.com), or
- Signing up for domain hosting, then transferring your existing domain to DreamHost.
- Build your html web pages [how do I do this?]
- Send your html web pages to our servers via FTP [how do I do this?] (your main page should be called "index.html". [why?] )
Domain Hosting means that you have paid a company, such as DreamHost, to store your html files on their server.
Transferring a domain means changing the DNS server information so that your site points to our servers.
After signing up and being approved, you'll receive an email with your username and password and the name of the server you should connect to to upload your web site to via FTP.
Once your domain is registered or transferred to us, and you've FTPed your content to our servers, your site will be live on the Internet to anyone in the world who visits it!
- Make sure your domain name is registered and working. If you told us to register it, you shouldn't have to do anything, it will begin to work within a day, or two at the most.
- If you have a domain registered through someone else, you should make sure you have transferred its dns servers to us. You have to do this on your own; we cannot help with this (because you are the owner of the domain, not us!).
Last updated: Jul 30, 2001.