|Mailsmith is a popular Mac-only email program by the makers of the BBEdit text editor, and - in the humble opinion of this KBase article writer - offers the best editing interface of any email client.
Setting up Mailsmith to work with your DreamHost is fairly simple. Simply launch the Mailsmith application and follow the directions below.
1. With Mailsmith running, select "Email Accounts" from the Window menu.
2. A window should appear with the currently defined email accounts set up to work with Mailsmith. Click on the "New..." button on the top-left corner of the window, and you will be prompted to name your email profile.
3. Type anything you want in the text field. We recommend something short, easy to remember, and easily distinguishable from any other email accounts you may have. Once you are finished, click the "Create" button.
4. Click on the "Checking" tab, if it is not selected already. Here, you will define your incoming email settings.
5. In the POP Server Name field, type "mail.mydomain.com" (replacing mydomain.com with your actual domain name).
6. Type your account username in the User ID field.
7. Type your email password into the Password field. Make sure to type it exactly as it is defined (ie. upper-case letters must actually be capitalized).
8. Click on the "Sending" tab, if it is not selected already. Here, you will define your outgoing email settings.
9. Type in your name under Sender's Name. Technically, this can be anything that you want.
10. Type your full email address into the Reply Address field. This is the address people will reply to when they respond to a message from you.
11. In the SMTP Server Name field, type "mail.mydomain.com" (replacing mydomain.com with your actual domain name).
12. Select the "Use SMTP Authentication" checkbox.
13. Type your account username in the SMTP User ID field.
14. Type your email password into the SMTP Password field, if it is not there already. As you did when you typed it in the Checking section, make sure to type it exactly as it is defined (ie. upper-case letters must actually be capitalized).
15. Click on the "Save" button at the bottom-right corner of the window, and close the window.
Your email account should now be configured correctly, and you should be able to check your email using Mailsmith. If you run into any problems, have any questions, or can't get it to work please don't hesitate to contact DreamHost customer support.
Last updated: Aug 26, 2003.
User Post (2003-08-28 17:04:26 by william)
Silly Jeff... VIM is the best editing interface of any email client - and it's not even an email client.