DreamHost Newsletter – July 2008

1. New Easy One-Click: Media Wiki
    DreamHost introduces Media Wiki (the software behind sites as Wikipedia) as an Easy One-Click install. The software has long existed as a One-Click install, but in easy mode both installation, upgrades and maintenance is 100% handled by DreamHost at the cost of fewer customization options (you can only use the preinstalled themes, plugins and languages).
  2. One Click Account Backup
    DreamHost - Backup
    This new feature lets you download a zipped backup of your entire account, including all users, mailboxes and databases. While the snapshot backup service continues, this is a great way to maintain your own local off-line backup.
  3. DreamHost PS All Caught Up
    DreamHost has got all the way through the waiting list for their VPS service (DreamHost PS) and new customers should be able to get a server relative quickly.
    Furthermore from next Tuesday, PS users will be able to tweak a few VPS settings to save resources including:
    • Use mod_php version 5.2
    • Turn on php caching for a super-performance boost
    • Turn off the ability to talk to aim/icq/msn on jabber
    • Turn off FTP access to your DreamHost PS entirely
  4. DHSOTHM
    DreamHost Site of the Month: Sand Pixel

16 Responses to “DreamHost Newsletter – July 2008”

1. Life Tester says:

few questions about no 2:

do you have any idea how much time does it take to download an 1GB zip archive? how about 10? how about 100? how about if the transfer drops/halts at 90%?

nice PR stun/work but a bit… low on usability…

Life Tester – I actually download a copy of all my sites and databases (about 5-10 GB) every week. I’m not sure how long it takes, since it just runs during Sunday night, but no more than a couple of hours I think.

3. Tim says:

>> “2. Turn on php caching for a super-performance boost ”

Is it PHP APC? Or eAccelerator?

Does anyone know?

4. Andrew F Happy DreamHost Employee says:

@Tim: It’s XCache.

5. Tim says:

Anyone know when today the new DreamhostPS settings will be enabled?

If you can’t tell, I’m a little excited at the ability to have PHP bytecode caching.

All I want now is the ability to run memcache on my private server :)

Tim

Tim – They’ve just enabled the option. Go to Configure Server to turn on XCache.

7. Tim says:

It appears that XCache will only work if you use mod_php per the statement:

“[XCache] only provides any benefit for websites using mod_php.”

But I don’t want to use mod_php because it uses more memory (RAM that I have to pay for) than fcgi for php … which fcgi by the way, is Dreamhost recommended approach to deploying PHP applications.

So sad :(

8. Greg says:

FYI / @Tim

Support is informing customers that the mod_php option on Private Servers is experiencing a bug, resulting in some PHP pages not rendering.

I would advice against people switching over to mod_php until this bug is resolved by Dreamhost.

9. Tim says:

@Greg

Do you know if the mod_php bug is fixed yet?

Tim

10. Dave says:

Seems like mod_php is working now. It messed up a couple of my sites for a while.

11. Greg says:

All

I just tried enabling mod_php again on my Private Server, as soon as I do so – all of my PHP pages that are rendered with Smarty break.

The page is just blank with no content.

Look like it’s still not working to me.

12. Frank says:

I too am having problems on my Private Server when enabling mod_php.

My PHP either don’t render or I get a 500 Internal Error. The strange thing is that it’s only on some PHP pages of mine, not all.

13. Bobaganoosh says:

If you’re seeing 500 Internal Errors then it most likely your PS running out of memory, see http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DreamHost_PS_Troubleshooting also I noticed that my pages came up blank after enabling mod_php and XCache but this was because of some conflicts in my .htaccess file. I suggest renaming the .htaccess and seeing if the problem is there.

Good luck!

14. Tim says:

@Bobaganoosh

How do you know if you have “conflicts” in an .htaccess file?

15. ADreamhosters says:

I had an account with dreamhost for 4 years, maintaining 50-60 sites almost for 2 years. Last month, my account just disabled when my traffic just started growing for this year.

Apparently they are more focus on the new users than the old one.

Lesson learnt:
    You got to move away from dreamhost when your web traffic grow.

16. Greg says:

My understanding is that mod_php on the Private Servers is still now working.