DreamHost offers Passenger / mod_rails

The Ruby on Rails deployment tool we wrote about a while ago has just been launched.

To enable Passenger, edit any of your fully hosted domains or add a new domain from the Manage Domains area in the web panel, and check the Ruby on Rails Passenger (mod_rails) checkbox.

mod-rails-passenger

When you then point that domain’s web directory to the public directory of an existing Ruby on Rails application it will work automatically.

More info in the wiki: Passenger.

We would love to hear any feedback on the new setup.

7 Responses to “DreamHost offers Passenger / mod_rails”

1. Corey says:

This sounds great! Are users supposed to check the box for FastCGI support as well? I was under the impression that one would want either FastCGI Support or Passenger but not both.

2. Ricky says:

Some excellent news. It’s working for me without FastCGI. I also removed the Monrel Proxy and manually deleted the Mongrel Restart files.

3. Ricky says:

On the Dreamhost Wiki http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Passenger it mentions the following

“When the code for your Ruby on Rails application has changed, creating or modifying the file tmp/restart.txt in the Rails application’s root folder will tell Passenger to automatically restart the application.”

Does anyone have more information on how to create the tmp/restart.txt file?

4. Xavier says:

Hopefully the next feature will be memcache and then nginx.

5. Ricky says:

One problem I’ve found. Accessing the analog web stats no longer works with this rewrite rule

Posted an example of the fragment here

6. Nat Budin says:

@Ricky: It doesn’t matter what the contents of the tmp/restart.txt file is; Passenger will simply notice that it’s there, restart your app, and delete the file. I personally added a “touch tmp/restart.txt” line to my Capistrano deployment recipes for the restart task.

7. Ricky says:

Thanks Nat. I got some answers to the other questions on the Official Blog http://blog.dreamhost.com/2008/05/13/passenger-for-ruby-on-rails/