DreamHost to Decrease Storage Capacity and Bandwidth Allowance?

The plan comparison page has just been updated with “On January 4th starting Disk drops to 199.5 GB” and “On January 4th starting BW drops to 1.995 TB” for the Crazy Domain Insane plan etc.

disk-drops

Anybody knows what DreamHost is up to?

Guess we’ll see in the next newsletter due any time now…

Updated:

As Wendel and Daniel point out in the comments, the DreamHost Blog has just been updated with an explanation

9 Responses to “DreamHost to Decrease Storage Capacity and Bandwidth Allowance?”

1. Eduardo Habkost says:

I didn’t get it, also. What is the point of dropping 0,25% of the disk and BW capacity?

Do they expect people to sign up early just to avoid this small difference?

2. Nick says:

I see the efforts to fight overselling are already underway. Woo-hoo.

3. Johnny Chadda says:

If you look on the front page, it says that you get 180 GB storage and 1.8 TB transfer. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens.

4. Pete V Happy DreamHost Employee says:

I’m sure details will follow soon.. but in case anyone was wondering, this does not affect existing customers at all.

5. John A says:

My speculation is that they use some of the space allocation for admin (eg scripts, logs, etc) and someone claimed they couldn’t use the full allocation of disk that they “bought”. With such a small change I doubt this is related to overselling, it’s just putting the information in line with actual disk usage. Will be interesting to hear the real story from DH.

6. Javier says:

We have an answer:

7. Wendel says:

Just see the last post on the official dreamhost blog: http://blog.dreamhost.com/2007/01/03/new-dream-resolutions/

They have this crazy “take over the world” plan: the users storage capacity and bandwidth keeps growing each week, but the initial storage/bandwidth will decrease sometimes, so people won’t say they are overselling O_o

8. Daniel Kestin says:

See this: http://blog.dreamhost.com/2007/01/03/new-dream-resolutions/

9. Tripter says:

I think there are much better ways for them to improve their rep. One thing that REALLY almost stopped me from signing up was when I read that DH’s Better Business Bureau rating is (or then was) an “F”. I believe I confirmed that on the BBB’s site. That should be addressed. If it can’t be resolved, then perhaps they should explain it so that when potential customers search for “dreamhost better business bureau rating” (like I did) their explanation could also be found and read.

If their rep is tarnished, why don’t they just write a blog entry inviting people to write about experiences good or bad (which we do anyway). Better yet, they could run a survey (but be sure to explain it’s purpose and methodology). They could encourage clients to specify their disk and bandwidth and connuary levels, which might help prove that even heavy-load customers are satisfied. Hopefully, the results would be strong enougth to impress prospective customers big and small. If other hosts mocked their ratings, they could challenge them to do the same survey.