DreamHost Dedicated Servers

I know lot of you are waiting for DreamHost to start offering dedicated servers again. This might be your chance! I just received a copy of an email sent out about a week ago to customers on the dedicated-servers-waiting-list.

Hi there!

You’re receiving this message because you’ve specifically asked DreamHost to contact you when we’ve resumed sales of our dedicated servers. Well… that day has come!

We’ve done some soul searching in the past few weeks and we’ve realized something. Shared hosting is our bread and butter. The varied hardware configurations and somewhat custom software environments required by dedicated servers really don’t mesh well with our streamlined, well-oiled, centralized management systems. Providing support for dedicated servers in the past really took up a lot of our time – from an inventory, administrative, and technical standpoint.

So! We’re going to try something a little different. We’re going to give you all the features of our Strictly Business hosting plan (see http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html for the full scoop) but you’ll be hosted on your OWN server. You’ll be hosted on the same standard hardware that hosts several hundred other domains in our usual shared hosting environment – however you’ll be the ONLY customer on it. The entire CPU resources of this single machine will be devoted to serving up your sites and your sites alone. We’ve never done anything like this before and we hope you’ll be as excited about it as we are!

Currently these machines contain 2.4Ghz dual-core AMD Opterons with 4GB of RAM. Hardware upgrades of any kind will not be available. If your server experiences a hardware failure in the future we may move you off to a different server, however you will always be moved to whatever standard platform we happen to be using at the time for our shared hosting customers. That future server configuration may vary from the one quoted above.

These servers will be fully managed, just like our shared hosting offerings, and they will include the world-famous DreamHost web-based account control panel. Root access will not be available. MySQL databases will still be hosted on our shared database servers. We will monitor and provide support for your server at no extra charge, just as we do for our shared hosting customers. For all intents and purposes, you will interact with your account just as if you were a shared hosting customer

The cost for this new “Strictly Business – Enhanced!” package is $400 per month. Payments must be made on a monthly basis, and there is no setup fee. If you’re interested in taking advantage of this offer we’re taking orders now and we would expect to have you set up no later than the end of August.

Don’t bother looking on our website for more information – you won’t find it! For the time being this is an exclusive e-mail-only offer being sent to people like you who have asked to be notified when something more powerful than shared hosting would be available from DreamHost.

If you would like to place an order for “Strictly Business – Enhanced!”, just reply back to this email and we’ll be happy to get you all set up. We realize that our “one size fits all” approach may not be a good fit for everyone, and for those people we can only say that our partnership with Hosting.com is ongoing. For more information on that, be sure to check out http://www.dreamhost.com/dedicated/

Please note also that this is the first and last email you will receive from us regarding dedicated server availability. As of now, we’re vaporizing our waiting list. It’s gone! Finito! Bye bye!

-Brett
Sales Feller, DreamHost.com

So one hardware setup only, one software setup only, no root, but one customer only! It’s supposed to be an exclusive e-mail-only offer, but if this is what you’ve been waiting for you can always try to contact sales.

9 Responses to “DreamHost Dedicated Servers”

1. A says:

$400 /month? compared to their earlier lowest price of just over $1,000/year?

2. Nathan Friedly says:

I’m about to drop my dedicated server once this year expires and move to a mid level shared account. I’m just not using enough of the resources to make it cost effective…

3. Gabriele Favrin says:

Sad that Dreamhost simply left dedicated servers market. This offer is no way competitive, when on the market there are real reliable dedicated servers for a lor less money. No root access means you can’t even edit php.ini or http.conf. MySQL server on shared servers means that it may become slower than you expect.

I will stay on Dreamhost until my sites will not use too much resource. Sadly then I may have to switch (eg. to cari.net).

BUT, if quitting dedicated market means more resources, efforts and support for shared hosting it’s better for all of us customers. And currently I’m more than happy to stay on Dreamhost.

Just wish the could start offering VPS, but reading that mail I don’t really beleive they will.

4. George says:

I could gain comfort in not having root access since DH will manage the system, which understandably can consume a large amount of time.

However, to pay $400/mo. to have my database on a shared environment … well, for me – that’s game over.

If all I use my web site for is serving static files, then I arguably don’t NEED a dedicated server.

5. Jake says:

I’m terribly disappointed.

Both with the price and that the database will not be on your dedicated (leased) server.

In all fairness, the system that they have spec’d out would run approx. $225/mo. at a reasonably priced web host. Then again, it wouldn’t be software managed BUT you would get root access AND the database, e-mail etc.. would all be on your dedicated server.

For me, it looks like I will have to switch to cari.net – where I can get a new Core 2 Duo, 160GB disk and 1GB RAM for $120/mo. Can’t beat that, a brand new system at rock bottom pricing.

6. Jake says:

Sorry for double-posting.

I haven’t heard of many people using Cari.net … has anyone and if so, are they any good?

7. rlparker says:

It’s a shame, really. I could live with all that *except* having MySQL remaining on the “pool” servers – that’s more of a “deal breaker” for me than the (high!) price!

8. Thomas says:

I am greatly sadden by this news for a number of reasons:

1. MySQL on the shared environment. Well, frankly – having anything on a shared server (expect backups) when leasing a dedicated server.

2. The price. It needs to be about 1/2 the price they are asking.

I can only hope DH hears this and adjusts prior to release.

9. Travis says:

Um, why not just run your own MySQL db if you want to avoid the MySQL on the shared servers? The local connection will be “nice and quick,” and you’ll only be hogging resources from yourself…. Not perfect maybe in case of reboot (but a cron job could perhaps restart it within some minutes even in that case), but it doesn’t sound like any one above is considering that as an option.