Mirror of DreamHost’s Knowledge Base

Since DreamHost integrated the DreamHost Knowledge Base into the DreamHost Community Wiki, I’ve heard a number of complaints about the move.

The main problems with the new Wiki-based Knowledge Base are:

• old links are broken (there is no way to tell what kbase article https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=138 was about)
  • user comments have not been moved (the comments were sometimes the most valuable part of the articles)
  • people used to the old system will have to spend time getting used to new Knowledge Base
  • lack of categorization of articles in the Wiki

Parts of the old Knowledge Base really needed a rewrite and I guess the Wiki-based Knowledge Base will be easier to maintain, so it’s not all bad, but right now I really miss the old KBase. In my opinion they should have kept the old Knowledge Base until the content and comments were better integrated in the Wiki and the old links were properly redirected.

I’ve therefore collected Google’s cached snapshot of most of the original content. Out of more than 1000 entries only 5 pages were missing. I will still try to get a copy of the last 5 pages (area 673, 681, 856, 996 and 2201).

Added:
Done!: I now got a copy of all the entries.

I’ve chosen to make my mirror of the Knowledge Base public for everybody to use. Since all the content in the Wiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License, I guess DreamHost will have no problem with this. Otherwise they can always contact me.

To convert an old link to a mirror link replace
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=138 with

Please notice that this Knowledge Base Mirror will not be updated, it’s no longer possible to comment the articles and it’s currently not possible to search the archive.

Added:
It’s now possible to search the mirror of DreamHost Knowledge Base…

22 Responses to “Mirror of DreamHost’s Knowledge Base”

1. gse says:

solid work. the wiki is a big disappointment so far. thanks for doing this.

2. SRTech says:

Wow! Thanks.
    I am hoping the wiki will work better in the long run, since alot of the KB articles had not been updated in a long time.

3. Eduardo Habkost says:

Wow! Great!

Do you have any plans to automatically copy the missing information to the DH Wiki? If you don’t have plans to do it yourself, I think I will add this to my would-like-TODO list.

SRTech – It’s my hope too, and I expect that the Wiki in the end will be better than the old Knowledge Base. I just think it was too early to shut down the old KB.

Eduardo – I think most of the content is already in the Wiki, except the comments. I’ve no plans to copy the comments over, but I hope they will be integrated in the articles as they are rewritten/updated.

5. Eduardo Habkost says:

I think that it would be nice to copy the comments to the Talk pages for the articles. And I think it would be nicer if it is done automatically as soon as possible. 8)

Edourdo – I love to help out, but I don’t really know where to start. Do you have any ideas how to import the comments the best/easiest way? You’re welcome to send me an email.

7. Andrew K. says:

I was shattered when I just discovered kbase was gone, thankyou very much for catching the cache in time :)

Dreamhost should give you an award for this!

8. Sandar Q. says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The Wiki is not helpful. I read this above I think most of the content is already in the Wiki, except the comments..

Can this be true? I was just trying to figure out how to turn SSH on, and the SSH ‘help’ provided by the Wiki did not instruct on how to do this. It just defines SSH. It gives no instructions on how to activate it nor does it tell how SSH relates to the DreamHost Control Panel. sigh.

Sandar – DreamHost did import the intire Knowledge Base into the Wiki (except the comments), but I agree that the information is hard to find and the Wiki’s search function is less than optimal.

Your question is answered in the Knowledge Base article How do I use Telnet or SSH to access my site?. The same info can (with a bit of luck) be found in the Wiki.

The problem with the Wiki is that a search for SSH only returns the less useful SSH – DreamHost entry.

10. Anonymous says:

Arghhhh!!! Very frustrating trying to use the *$^@(* wiki. I need some very basic instructions for newbies setting up popserver mail for various browsers, and the wiki listing includes a bunch of broken links.

Does anybody know a basic dreamhost email tutorial or example? If I have to do my own, I’ll post it here….

Susana
    susana@malcs.net

Anonymous – Did you look in the mirror of the Knowledge Base? Maybe there is something you can use in the Client-Specific Setup.

12. Scott Karlin says:

Thank you so much! To date, I have not been impressed with wikis and so I really appreciate your mirror of the DreamHost Knowledge Base.

13. Matt says:

I think your mirror of the K-base is great. I really missed the user comments, and was very dissapointed that dreamhost didn’t move them over to the wiki after people started complaning. Regardless, I really appreciate your time on this. Great stuff!

14. Michael says:

This really saved me a lot of trouble. Thank you very much. The wiki doesn’t have the amount of info as the old KB.

15. Will says:

thanks much for doing all of this work.

16. Drogheda says:

Thank you so much. The missing Wiki page on PHP-CGI actually refers the reader to a comment that is (inexplicably) missing. It is most community-minded of you to provide such a valuable service as this!

17. FLAVIO says:

CAN HELP ME ?
    I WAS TO TRY MANAGE MY ENTRIES OF MY GUESTBOOK http://books.dreambook.com/stroker1/dodgers.html

there is a new link for this one ?

thanks
    Flavio

18. ghstrider187 says:

I went to manage my entries and it stated there was currently no longer a guestbook available. I did not delete it. What’s up with this? Please help! Any tips or suggestions as to the recovery and reinstatment of my guestbook is greatly appreciated.

FLAVIO & ghstrider187 – I just read in the forums that another users is having the same problem. She got a response from DreamHost support (this blog is not affiliated with DreamHost), which stated that they are aware of the problem and things will be back to normal by the end of the week.

FLAVIO & ghstrider187 – DreamBooks Are Back Jack!

21. Emily Smith says:

Hi, Does it cost anything for a guest book ? And how much is your hosting Plan.
    Thanks. Tami